10.10.11

Politics

I usually try to stay out of them, but this bill that was recently signed made me about as disappointed as I get when it comes to this stuff. (I was concerned enough to actually write a letter to the governor about it - a form letter suggested to me by the School Nurses Organanization, but a letter nonetheless.) There are so many problems with this, it feels a bit ridiculous. To start with, who invented a medication for grand mal seizures that is administered rectally? Has the inventor never witnessed a grand mal seizure? As someone who has, I'm not sure how this would even work. What's worse is that this is supposed to happen at school: a public setting, with children and teenagers, mostly connected to the digital age with cell phones. Can you imagine the youtube videos that would be posted when a high school math teacher has to pull down a student's pants during a grand mal seizure and poke a medication up her rear end? Or the liabilty of suggesting, say, an old man teacher touch one of his young female students, much less access her rear end? Neither can I. And yes, I may be biased, as this is just one more thing that used to be reserved for nurses and now everyone can do...But still...This just seems stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment