7.10.11

TGIF

This morning a girl came in with severely chapped skin under her lip, from licking her lips and seeing how far her tongue could reach (she did a lovely demonstration). After searching my office for some non-medicated barrier I could put on it to no avail, I told her she'd have to ask her mom for lotion when she got home. Her response: "My mom doesn't have money, she can't buy anything. She works and so does my dad but they don't have no money ever." <Sigh...> Something to add to my growing shopping list.
Also this morning, a kid came in with a bloody nose. I knew it wasn't his recess, so I asked how it started. He told me he was sitting on the class rug and it started. I asked where his fingers were when it started, and he shrugged; then I asked if anything might have been in his nose when it started. With a sheepish smile he pointed his finger: this was! Well, buddy, that's what you get for sticking your fingers in your nose.
Still this morning, I received an email from a secretary at another site letting me know a parent was none too happy that her daughter came home Monday with a sprain while the nurse had only given her a bandaid. Apparently I just read the teacher's note that said she needed a bandaid and in the whirl of what is often the state in that office, didn't question her for any other injuries; later, mom ended up taking her to the doctor's and getting x-rays. There are plenty of things I can think of in my defense: that x-rays are taken for the most ridiculous of complaints as a CYA thing for the medical office, that you should stop babying your 5th grade daughter, that just because your doctor diagnosed your daughter with a sprain does not convince me she has a serious injury when the injury happened on Monday and she is only coming to the office to ice it for the first time on Friday, etc. Bottom line, still: oops, a big oops in this neighborhood, and I feel pretty crappy about it. Yay... This is perhaps the 3rd time this year that a parent has complained about the healthcare at  that school (though I believe only the first I was at fault), and it's a reminder to me that I do prefer the lower income areas where parents can hardly be bothered to clothe their children, much less complain about the school nurse. Gah.
Though I may not work the longest hours, this stuff is why I get home exhausted, especially by the end of the week. Other nurses have warned me: this job will suck the life out of you if you let it. I haven't even had the energy to touch on what happened Wednesday, but the short of it is that I had a diabetic in my office with a blood sugar of 48, and for the first time heard that this has been a pattern for the last three weeks - once reaching a low of 37 at school. You read that right: three weeks into a very alarming blood sugar pattern, the nurse finally finds out. Go me.

Edit: The mother who was complaining about me, and, possibly, might be interested in filing a lawsuit against the school about the incident, has reportedly explained her obesity by saying, "I had a C-section and when they sewed me back up they put too much air in." That statement made me feel a lot better about her complaint...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/10/11 12:06

    Wow, just wow. You can't make this stuff up, can you? Good luck on your blog. It's a fun read.

    Carolyn R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At yi yi. Totally apropos of nothing, but can I just say thank you for doing what you do? My kidlet started kinder last month. She plays hard but ummmm has more smarts than coordination. :). Shes already been sent to the nurse 3 times for bloody scrapes and bruises. I know it's bandaids and an ice pack and some TLC, and she's well fed/clothed/immunized/has parents who give a damn. But she got what she needed and trotted back to class with a smile because of the school nurse And I really appreciate that her school still has a nurse most days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been spending my morning (while sick in bed) reading over all your blog posts and well thank you. While I don't have any children in school you remind me that so often school nurses get over looked. Maybe for Christmas/start back of the school year I'll make small "thank you" baskets for the nurses of several schools near me. What are things that I should place in it? Things that nurses end up buying themselves because it's overlooked as needed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those nurses would LOVE you. As far as things - anything that is not medication of any kind or has active ingredients...I use stickers to get kids back to class sometimes, markers and crayons to keep kids occupied, fun band-aids for special occasions, tooth packages for the Tooth Fairy, graham crackers or other tiny packages of crackers to settle stomachs...I just discovered feminine products are not in the budget of one of my elementary schools, which I think is slightly ridiculous (though I did just find you can order promotional items from companies for free)...yeah, pretty much anything would be appreciated - it's the thought that counts!

    ReplyDelete