24.9.13

Caught red-handed

Spitfire has been coming to me at lunchtime with very high blood sugars, consistently over 300. I questioned them, and she'd tell me she'd had a juice or other snack recently after her blood sugar was low in class. Still suspicious, I mentioned this to the teacher at the 504 last week. Her teacher said she'd been taking Spitfire's word for it until then, but wouldn't be anymore after hearing what her blood sugars were by lunchtime. 

Sure enough, Monday morning, Spitfire told her teacher her blood sugar was 61 and she needed a snack. The teacher asked her to show her the meter, and at first, Spitfire tried to say that she didn't know how to look at the history. Too bad for her, the teacher is a diabetic herself, so she took it and scrolled back to find that her blood sugar wasn't 61, but 261 - only a difference of 200 (and a snack). By the time she got to me, her blood sugar was under 200, quite a feat for Spitfire, and today, it was again under 200. These were the first two consecutive days under 200 since school started. 

I had the unfortunate chore of calling Spitfire's mom to inform her of the incident, and calling a parent to tell them that their child is lying is no fun. She sounded helpless and defeated when I told her of the incident, and that I suspected that it's only the first time she's been caught; given her outrageous lunchtime blood sugars this year, she's probably been doing it for some time. Mom said she'd call the diabetes educator at the clinic she goes to for tips on helping Spitfire understand the seriousness of what she's been doing; whether she'll follow through on that is anyone's guess.  

Regardless, I'm glad Spitfire's teacher is as on top of it as one can get, and at least I was able to voice my concerns about Spitfire's carefree attitude about the whole thing to her mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment