16.9.13

My useless memory

Two weeks ago, a teacher sent a fourth grader to my office for possible pink eye. I agreed, and sent the student home asking the parent to take him to the doctor. Monday morning I received a note from the teacher that the student's eye was still pink. I made a separate trip to that site - after hitting all three of my other sites earlier in the day - just for this. His eye was still pink, but looked better. The secretary offered to call home for me (because my Spanish skills are not anywhere near conversational levels) to follow up. Mom answered and reported that she had taken him to the doctor, and that she had dropped off a note from the doctor. After some digging, we found the note - sure enough, he'd been to the doctor. 

Then it dawned on me: two years ago, this student's teacher was also constantly sending him to my office for "possible pink eye." The poor guy has an issue with his left eye, and it is frequently red - but not actually the contagious pink eye everyone fears. I double checked this in his school folder. Sure enough, I had the right student, and knew what teacher he'd had for 2nd grade. What a useless factoid for my brain to retain. I can't remember to put the garbage bins out on the right day of the week, but I can remember what teacher one particular had two years earlier. 

1 comment:

  1. Celebrate that your brain is holding onto useful info for the compassionate care of the kids in your schools... the garbage is well, just garbage!

    ReplyDelete