22.11.13

Making amends

I really hoped to see Spitfire before we left for Thanksgiving break, but this week was minimum days so she didn't stay for lunch at all. I couldn't think of a reason to call her out of class, so instead I dropped this note and a few stickers in her teacher's mailbox yesterday for her, hoping she'd see that even if I'm having a baby, I'm still thinking of her. 


Spitfire came to the office this morning with a 400+ blood sugar, and the health clerk called me to let me know. She told me Spitfire asked her if she had noticed anything different about me lately, and the health clerk and I both jumped to the same conclusion: Let's let her be the one to "tell" the health clerk, who of course has known for months. The health clerk played dumb, asking me if there was anything different about me, and I asked her to put me on the phone with Spitfire. I told Spitfire to go ahead and tell her the news, and I heard her say to the health clerk, "She's having a baby!"

The health clerk did a fantastic job of acting stunned, and told me later that Spitfire was just beaming with the belief that she and I are best friends, and knew the big news before the health clerk did. Spitfire ended up staying for lunch today, I don't think any sort of coincidence that she did so after the note I gave her reached her yesterday, and she giggled to herself while the health clerk interrogated me about the "news" of the baby. It was awesome.

Less awesome was that she continued to ask if I could put the baby up for adoption, and even suggested a foster home if I just wanted to do so temporarily. (I don't even think I knew what fostering was at 5th grade.) <Sigh.>

She left saying, "I still think you should put it up for adoption," but just as soon as she was out the door, she stepped back to say, "Thanks for the note and the stickers, I liked that."

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment